Great article from the TopRank marketing blog on using linked in for Marketing purposes… http://www.toprankblog.com/2011/01/linkedin-tips/
Here’s my list:
1. Make sure your profile “sells you” and promotes what you do through your links, recommendations and content.
2. Make connections with only those whom you do business with. If you don’t recognize names of people on your connections list, it’s time to remove them. You don’t have to connect with everyone in your group. If you are in the same group, then you are already connected.
3. When reaching out to do new business with a company, see who you might already be connected to at that company first.
4. Looking for a job? Once you find a listing, search your connections again to see if you might be connected to someone who has an “in” at that company
5. List your profile on your resume and include it in your bio